In the thread about generator neutral bonding, it was mentioned that Transfer Switches must be listed (which means UL1008 in 2002). However, in reading the code (702.6), I only see an explicit listing requirement if there is supplementary overcurrent protection inside the transfer equipment (like those Gentran switches or a loadcenter type). I see most other references for transfer equipment to be "AHJ approved" and "approved for intended use". The word listed is tossed around a lot in the health care facilities section too, so perhaps in those applications listing is also a requirement.

Do I understand this correctly, or must all transfer switches be UL1008 approved regardless if they contain overcurrent protection? Is my "double pole safety switch" (which is listed as a switch and not transfer switch) being used per NEC 702 not allowed to be used as a transfer switch?

Kent, WA