Hello, I need your help...

I'm out here in California where resi services are almost always service entrance panels (combined unit with meter socket and main and branch circuit breakers, mounted on the exterior of the house).

For those of you in other areas, I'd like some details on how you install a separate meter / panel in your area. I know it all depends on poco requirements, local code requirements/inspector preferences, and cost.

So, what's your usual approach to:
1) service supply--overhead drop or service lateral?
2) For an overhead, is SE cable used for the service entrance conductors (SECs)? If you have a choice of cable (SER?) or heavywall, does lower cost dictate use of cable?
3) For SECs run in pipe, is aluminum or copper used?
5) Do you install a meter/main combo, or a meter pan and separate cutoff?
6) With a meter/main, do you bond the neutral and the grounding electrode conductor on the main breaker side? If so, do you run 4 conductors to the house panel (with floating neutral bar), or 3 (with neutral bar bonded to ground)?
7) With a meter/main, do you usually use an MLO house panel?
8) To go from meter pan to cutoff (or meter/main) to panel, do you use Sched 80 or cable (SE)?
9) Grounding electrode--for new construction, is the Ufer made of rebar, or #4 copper (or something else)?
10) GFI breakers are rarely used with all-in-ones; after all, who wants to go outside in a bathrobe to reset a tripped bathroom circuit? Is it typical to use GFI breakers with an exterior meter and interior (basement) panel?
11) Do you use a backer board or one-by lumber standoffs when mounting the panel on a block wall? Or is the panel fastened directly to the wall?

Thanks for taking the time to respond to any or all of these questions.

Cliff