Why does this section of the NEC specifically require that receptacles adjacent to the mirror and above the counter be controlled by switches, and why does it require a pilot light outside the dressing-room door?

I wondered whether there might have been some incidents in the past of hair-curling tongs or something similar being left on and causing a fire, hence the exterior pilot lights which could be checked by somebody just walking down the corridor.

However, I've looked back at the same rule in the 1971 code and the different wording makes me question that:
520-73. Switches required. All lights and receptacles in dressing rooms shall be controlled by wall switches installed in the dressing rooms. Each switch controlling receptacles shall be provided with a pilot light to indicate when the receptacle or receptacles are energized.

No mention of the pilot having to be outside in that earlier edition, but it requires all receptacles to be switched, not just ones by the mirror/counter.

Can anybody explain the reasoning behind 520-73 and the progression from the 1971 version to today's version?

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 12-25-2004).]