Hello All,

210-4(b) states; "In dwelling units, a multiwire branch circuit supplying more than one device or equipment on the same yoke shall be provided with a means to disconnect simultaneously all ungrounded conductors at the panelboard where the branch circuit originated."

What does this mean? Does it mean that on a shared neutral circuit you need a double pole breaker or does the main suffice? Is a "yoke" here meaning a duplex receptacle?

I had a service call where the customer said they were tripping breakers on the upstairs circuits. I found a shared neutral circuit where both ungrounded conductors were under one 15 amp breaker. I seperated them by installing a double pole 15 amp breaker, one conductor under each leg. My reasoning was that if one leg tripped, both legs would trip making the neutral current 0. If you used seperate breakers, (on seperarte phases of course) and one tripped, you would still have neutral current. Also there is a chance of feedback through the other ungrounded condutor. Any comments?

Adam