Some inspectors and myself are having a disagreement.

Scenario: Murray 200A combo panels (meter, main,distribution) require a 2" hub. One of the inspectors says "logic would follow that a 2-inch mast is required" and he is making electricians prove a 1-1/2 mast is OK.

My argument: This inspector is 'assuming' too much. Just because Murray chooses to simplify their manufacturing process (just one size hub to mfr. and supply for distribution) doesn't mean Murray is mandating a 2" mast (this 2" mast requirement is not in the mfr. written installation instructions that I am aware of). As far as I'm aware there is a 2 x 1-1/2 reducer bushing available and none of us (who are arguing this matter) have found a code section that does not permit a bushing at the hub.

Rkeis says: "Make them show it to you in the code".

I say you cannot make 'logical conclusions' about what a mfr. wants if it's not in the written instructions, and there is no code citation.

(No I don't have the particular model number for this panel....one of the guys says he's going to check with Murray.....but then we may be getting into another can of worms - who's he checking with at Murray? I don't think a verbal phone call qualifies as mfr. instructions one way or the other).

...please don't beat me too harshly on this subject...I really am a sensitive caring poet in disguise as an inspector & elect.