I work for a company which manufactures, sells and sometimes installs alzheimer patient wander alert systems.. To keep it short, the systems consist of 1) a small radio transmitter worn by a nursing home patient; 2) a radio receiver; & 3) a magnetic lock. When the patient nears the door, the transmitter is picked up by the receiver which sets an alarm off and engages the mag lock, thereby securing the door. (The systems meet the requirements of the NFPA LSC for use in Special Locking Arrangements)

The system's 12v transformer is plugged into a standard 110v receptacle. Some facilities have chosen to have their Maintenance staff install the systems, and in these cases, the Maintenance staff have had an Electrician tie in to the Exit lights in order to run wire for the receptacle. (basically to save money) In some states this isn't a problem, but in other states it might be. I have advised my company we should discourage this practice nationwide because I feel it is in violation of NEC 517-32. The company feels we should argue that our system is, in essence, a communication device used to alert nursing staff of an emergency situation which requires their response, and we should present this argument to Code Inspectors if they don't approve...

My Question: Who's right?

By the way, I'm not an electrician.. My job involves coordinating the installation of our systems in accordance with the state/local code.

You can email me at tbate_doh1101@yahoo.com if you have questions.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Tim