I was just looking at another NEC forum, and I suddenly realized that the NFPA (the author of the NEC) has dropped the ball pretty badly, at least twice.

The first instance was the advent of the internet. By all rights, the premier electrical ought to be one started by the NFPA ... and not a few put up by dedicated electricians. When they finally did start up an electrical chat ... well, when was the last time YOU were there?

The second relates to the qualifications of electrical trades. First, let me pont out a few examples:
The NRA, a private group, has established a virtual monopoly on the qualification of firearms instructors.
The Red Cross has a similar strong presence in First Aid and Swimmng certification.
Even the NFPA has a strong role in firefighter training, as well as determining the actual "business practices" of Fire Departments.

So who certifies electricians? Here in Reno, we are changing over to "ICC" issued Journeyman cards. These cards will be accepted anywhere ICC codes are adopted.
This is ironic, as the ICC defers to the NEC on electrical matters. Building code, Fire code, etc., are under their umbrella.

I suppose the next failing of the NFPA will be the loss of credibility to its' NEC. Can this happen? Well, looking at the recent spate of "manufacturer driven" code changes, the NEC no longer gets the respect it once did.