First off,I have done quite a bit of K&T re-work for my young age of 35... And a bit of lab work on the electronics soldering side.

However, the lost art of K&T splicing and soldering is a dying art IMO. And recent newbies have no clue to the stuff.... I used to work with some old salts who are now retired, and learned what limited stuff I know from them, and as all the old guys disappear, I find I have now explain K&T often. - So, I'm thinking of writing a little lesson on it. (Well not so little, its 12 pages now, but has some poor illistrations.)

Anyway, I have some questions to clarify about the use of solder pots, and open flame heated irons? (Something I was never around for.)

• Did you guys really recycle solder splashes off the floor for re-use, and was this practice frowned apon?
  • What was the preffered method for tap splices in framing, iron and stick solder, or iron to heat, and poured?
  • Were poured joints fluxed?
  • At some point joints were required to be in boxes, and it seems soldering was still in vogue, how were these joints done?

Any other information is also heplfull....

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason