It is unfortunately a part of biz/life...

Too many times have I found the SOS!
Busted window... and anything not welded to the truck gone.

I have had some good luck in the last few years though, learning from the past.

I have a site style box laid on its side at the back door of the van. And it is set up like this... The door to the box won't open unless both back doors are open, it has 2 locks. Then all the doors are on power locks with the back and side doors key mechanisms chopped out. (So no one can just mash the keyways with a screw driver - happened in the past) So the only way the doors can open is that the power door locks un-lock, and only way into the tool box is to open the doors, which sets off the alarm. And against better descresion I have windows on the back doors, but they have grates, and a label that says the "doors will not open from inside".

The alarm is motion-sound-and door switches, AND GPS! 'I'll find you before the cops will!' I also have a cable lock that holds the hood shut, so it is going to take some added effort to cut the alarm wires. The doors constantely re-lock if the alarm goes off.

Then the van is never parked anywhere but outside my front door, I am a light sleeper, and have been known to charge out naked if not in my boxers if the alarm goes off. Which some kid found out about after setting off my alarm while looking in my window. He got 6'2" former Marine (Me) holding him upsidedown with his face in the gutter until the cops came a few weeks ago. Unfortunately he didn't break anything and the cops had to let him go. But he did get the crapola scared out of him, and his two freinds who left him there with me...

I'm thinking of getting some cameras for around the house, that way if I am not around, I have a picture for refferance....

All tools are ingraved with my name and phone number "If lost or stolen", as well as varied clever addages like: "This tool is not for sale - ever!" - "Kill the person who tries to sell this tool." etc. Some are branded with an old dog tag into the plastic, but recently found something better and easier than that. I got my last shop some epoxy asset tags that worked really well. You can get a few for each tool, and they apply in seconds. They are pretty visable, and really hard to get one off, nevermind 3-4 of them.

Anyway, as you can tell, I take the issue very seriously after having 3 vans emptied before.

Rule #1 is never buy "used" tools sold on the street or anywhere else, treat that individual as if he was the person who ripped you off...
#2 lock everything, everytime.
#3 Make it difficult to steal, and equally difficult to sell.

*Unfortunately a dog will only get you in trouble with the SPCA.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason