Spark,
I've got some bad news for you buddy. You're DEAD! Not only that, you've been dead for quite some time if the Fluke can't see some R across you. But before we start calling your next of kin, is there any chance that you have your meter on "diode check", instead of "ohms" or inadvertantly gotten into a manual, low resistance range? For now, let's stipulate that you are among the living. I haven't checked out Winnie's link yet but let's consider why it doesn't seem too credible. A modern DMM will usually have an imput impedance of about 10 million ohms. You would probably be hard pressed to find one with less than a million ohms. This is a good thing because we wish to measure a circuit without influencing it. To consider the possibility of a DMM being a shock hazzard, we have to think of it as a 9 volt power supply with a source impedance of 10 million ohms. Our unknown voltage is Vdead (Vd). Our poor victim's resistance is Rdead( Rd),(maybe we should use URdead). Total resistance (Rt)= Rsource (Rs) + Rdead (Rd). We can use voltage divider equations to note that Vt/Vd = Rt/Rd. If you happened to look like 100,000 ohms of resistance, you would plug & chug & come up with 9/Vd = 10,100,000/100,000. Vd = 0.089 volts in this case. Your current is 8.9^-7 A. So my gut feeling is that the only way that a DMM set to R is going to kill someone, is if Jet Li is using it.

Why don't you try taking a 9 volt battery and putting yourself in series with your Fluke on DC uA across it. Then if you can get a hold of a Simpson 260 or other analog meter that has its input R expressed in thousands of ohms per volt(R depends on voltage scale that you use), try this. Measure your battery voltage with the analog volt meter and your DMM. Now put a 1M resistor in series with the battery and measure between the other terminal and the free end of the resistor. Quite a difference between the 2 readings now, right? That's because, "All the world's a voltage divider."
Joe

[This message has been edited by JoeTestingEngr (edited 12-24-2005).]