My apologies to all for anything I said that might have offended. Thanks to webmaster for running a tight ship to prevent things like that.

I love electrical work, it's all so fascinating. The more I learn, the more I'm blown away by things electrical. Nobody knows it all, right? Some people are experts in some areas, some are master electricians who may have only dabbled in some aspect of electrical once in their career, while by chance leaning toward certain aspects of electrical work, becoming highly experienced in those areas.

People who are highly educated in one particular area might pass through here and be able to really change my life, turning me in the right direction quickly so I can finish this project sooner and do it first class.

I've got almost 4 years of experience in commercial electrical, and I work on other projects on the side, like building a hot wire cutter or a gyroscope, building world-record-breaking machinery, signs, building networks, fixing all kinds of electrical and electronic devices, and right now I'm thirsting for certain answers to my questions about transformers.

I tend to look at the resistance of a nichrome wire, for example, at 1.5 ohms; then figure how many amps it would draw at 12 volts, which would seem to be 8 amps. Now I'm told that the resistance changes, so I don't know what to think exactly.

I have a device I bought at a garage sale called a Fido-Shock, it's a device that's wired up to an electric fence to keep an animal in the yard. The Fido-shock has a transformer that steps 120 volts up to 700 volts or something like that, but I guess that increase in voltage reduces the amperage. Somehow it's supposed to be safe because of the reduction in amperage. Can somebody tell me how a step-up transformer, going to 700 volts, can be safe enough to use on Fido because of reduced amperage, while a step-down transformer, dropping 120 to 12 volts, can be safer because of reduced voltage (while the amps can go super high)? What's more dangerous? What would cause more damage to somebody who became part of the ground path? Would it simply be a matter of VA, regardless of the voltage?

SMF