OK, I thought these things were for covering badly cut holes when installing a ceiling fan, but they're apparently becoming vogue...

Being the first time I've installed one, I've run into problems...

1) The center "flat" part of the medallion is 5", all canopies I've encountered are 6" diameter and won't fit. The medallion has "fancy raised engravings" that are in the way of a 6" canopy...

2) Being made of Styrofoam, I'd consider these things as "combustible" yet the things leave an area of about 3/4" exposed... (Box extenders are like hens teeth around here, and problem 3 eliminates their use)...

3) The hole in the center is slightly smaller than an octagonal box, making getting the screws in next to impossible even if I'm willing to break every code in the NEC (which I'm ever increasingly willing to do as I become more and more broke...)

And what about Kichler brand fixtures? How does one install a pendant type light (chandelier) when the canopy won't slide out of the way due to the hole being only large enough to fit on the all-thread, and not slip over the chain???

I am completely ready to change careers...again..

[Linked Image]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI