We failed inpection today because we ran PVC where we want to pour a slab over. It is for an ice rink. They are upgrading their cooloing equipment. We are supplying 600 amp 480 volt to a new equipment room. We are picking up the old 600 amp feed in the old equipment room. then we punch outside, down over 18" deep with 3" HW, 90 and change to PVC sch. 80 for about 60', enter the new room below grade through the foundation wall and run for 30', go into a HW 90 and emerge through what will soon be a slab.

Well DuPage county first said "no PVC within buildings". That began a flurry of phone calls and now they are saying it's okay if it is 18" below grade. What has me troubled is if they are this incompitent, I'm afraid of whatelse they will come up with on the reinspect tomorrow. They are returning to make sure it is 18" below grade. It is 18" below finished floor height.

So what has me is they keep citing their local ammendment. (not chapter & verse, they say "oh no, we have an ammendment") Well I found the ammendment online:

2) Chapter 3. Wiring Methods and Materials
a) Subsection 352.10 of Article 352, "Rigid Nonmetallic Conduit", to be amended to read as follows:

1) Exterior underground installations.

2) In corrosive or high moisture situations where authorized by the Building Official after sufficient justification as to the special circumstances making necessary such permission.

What do you guys think? If they are considering under the building as interior, do they have a leg to stand on? I personally think the guy that inspected it made a mistake and now they don't want to admit, so now they are going to try to enforce it as if there really was a problem. Any opinions?