I just purchased a lighting contactor to control three 20A 277V circuits with fluorescent 2x4 lights. The name brand is ASCO and they call it a remote control switch. My problem is that the control terminations are L - Line, O - Open, and C - Close. What I was hoping to get (and what I asked for) was something that i could apply 120V to and close the contacts for the three circuits. Apparantly that is not how this contactor works. You apply 120 to the close and the contacts close, and if you apply 120 to the open the contacts open. I would imagine this would be done with some sort of pushbutton on/off switch. That is not how I want this to operate, and the ko's on the included cabinet have been knocked out so returning it and switching for a different contactor may not be an option. Anyway, here is my question. If I wire this up so voltage (120) switches from the open termination to the close termination, will it damage the contactor. I know it works, because i did it earlier by swapping out the three way switch that the switch leg (120V to operate contactor) was landed on with a four way, and adding another switch leg, thus swapping the voltage back and forth between the open and close contacts. I don't know however if the contactor is designed to have a voltage on one of those contacts at all times or if is just supposed to have voltage there long enough to throw the contact. If anyone knows how these contactors work any advice would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if this post is confusing, it's been a long day.

Thanks for any help,
Chris