specifically as physical protection for a service lateral.

Still working on the new service for the parsonage garage - getting yanked between the PoCo and AHJ. Business as usual I suppose!

The latest development: I had contacted ComEd and they had said that they could trench & place the run from the pole to the garage, but at a significant expense... mostly the trenching time. I JULIE's the site, and got the AHJ OK to trench. I called ComEd back to see if they could just drop the URD in the trench.

They responded that they had reviewed the site, and, since the majority of the property was commercial, I, as the contractor, would be responsible for placing the lateral, and that the AHJ would have the say-so on the conductors.

I priced out URD, and got a fair price from my local house.

Back to the AHJ - they said that the only folks who could bury a lateral (even 24"+) was ComEd, due to liability concerns. If the homeowner or contractor did it, it needed to be in conduit, either RMC/IMC (required for grade penetration & above) buried 18", or RNC at 24", with Cu conductors throughout. (bye bye affordable Al)

With 1 1/2" RMC @ $520/100', and 1 1/2" RNC @ $52/100', my thought was to combine the two - use metal for the risers and elbows at either end, and PVC for the horizontal run - the long and expensive part. I'm renting a trencher, so depth = extra labor isn't an issue.

My question is this - is an additional bonding means between the RMC elbow and riser at the pole and the RMC elbow and riser at the structure required? Should I sink grounding electrodes at each end to be safe? I can't find anything in the AHJ's electrical ordinance or the ComEd installation handbook, and I want to make sure I'm doing this run the right way. I've got calls in to ComEd and the AHJ, but I figured I'd troll for info here while I'm waiting.

Thanks for the help,

Doug