The heater is an electric resistance emergency heater built into the air handler for when the temp drops below where the heat pump can operate efficiently. I'm sure it's not drawing exactly 60A 240, but finding out *anything* technical about heat pumps has been consistantly frustrating as their product information consists only of meaningless marketing gibberish, and SEER is about the only solid number you can get from them without being a HVAC professional. The air handler manual lists the blower as 15A 240, but I don't have any documentation on the resistance heater unit. Long story short, I'm conservatively estimating 14,400 VA for it.

Same goes for the electric range- I assumed the worst at 40A 240V, though I know that's going to be high as nobody will ever broil with all 4 burners on max. All-in-all, my numbers came to 409A for the house. Which I assume is slightly high because of my conservative estimates; but I doubt the heater is only drawing 25 or 40A, else it wouldn't be on a 60A breaker.

Actually, how long does a residential breaker typically run at overload- are there curves availible?

[This message has been edited by SteveFehr (edited 03-19-2005).]