The plant in which I work (as a technician/mechanic on the production floor)is doing some remodeling to the break room. We have a GC and a local EC working "together" on the project. After work on Tuesday, I was in the break room waiting for one of my fellow tech's to finish his shift. The GC and EC's had left for the day.

I went over to the coffee vending machine to get a cup-a-joe, when I noticed the doors open to the "broom closet", which actually houses the breaker panel for our equipment garage and some of the offices, along with a disconnect switch.

The cover was removed from the breaker panel, and was sitting on the floor. Thought maybe it was powered off, didn't get too excited. Being curious of other people's work (quality), I decided to "inspect" it. I had a meter in my lunch box, one of my extra's -taking it home-, so, I figured I would test to make sure it was off.

Looks like a CH 40 or 44 brkr panel. Three main wires feeding it, identified (taped) red, yellow, blue. And, an identified white wire to a terminal bus. I read 260VAC between each of the three feeders, and 120VAC between each of these and the white wire.

I see no main breaker in this panel. Also, a few green wires along with white wires on the terminal bus. I am thinking "Has to be a sub panel, but, grounded conductors and grounding conductors bonded together?"

What really made me sick, and then angry, was that there was NO ONE in sight of this panel (but me), and our farmed-out cleaning crew (husband, wife, and daughter) were cleaning the break room at the time! This is where they keep their brooms and dustpans.

I put the cover back in place, and turned the mounting screws in finger tight. I oriented the screw slots vertically, so I can see if it has been removed since.

Two minutes after I put the cover on, the daughter, maybe 11, comes over and gets a dustpan, coming within maybe two feet of the panel I just covered. Today is Thursday, and I believe that the panel may have still been uncovered if I had not replaced it.

Girl: "Hey, Mom, what's this?" I'll stop right here, I don't want to think the scenarios out further.

How careless and casual, I don't know who removed the cover, but, at least it is on there now!

Next time I see the electricians I will ask them if they were "working" on the panel, and meant to leave it "ventilated".

Should I take it further? Or, just be glad I was in the right place in the right time (hypothetically, of course).

Thanks for reading.

BP