Mounting a Cantex FSS plastic box on a 4X4 cedar post. The box, of course, has four mountings which are located on the sides of the box. The mounting ears are not quite covered by the cedar post so we would be required to make a bracket large enough to be behind the mounting ears or put in screws at an angle to hit the cedar post. Instead we drilled two holes on the inside of the box and used sealing washers and #10 screws into the cedar post. I felt this was a very secure and water tight installation but the inspector turned it down, stating that UL does not state that mounting the boxes that way was an option. I felt this was ludicrous and a total lack of common sense but I am open to discussion on why I could be wrong. I hope to contact UL and get their opinion on this installation but would like to hear from all of you inspectors out there as to your experience regarding mounting outdoor receptacle boxes. If the customer had installed 4X6 posts like I requested we wouldn't be having this discussion but not allowing this installation with the sealing washers sounds a bit rediculous to me. Any UL people out there?
Thanks Guys in advance for your great reponses to all questions.
Ron