I usually have a pretty good imagination and think of creative ways to fix unusual problems, but today I felt like a hack.

I'm replacing outlets and switches all around and in the kitchen is a rework/gem box. When I pull off the cover, the outlet falls into the wall bacuse the hole was cut too big in the plaster (Hack Job, PartI).

I'm staring at this hole like an idiot wondering what to do. I settled on a deep rework/gem box with a monster chunk of duct seal (yes, duct seal) on it's back. I caught the bottom edge of the hole & squished the duct seal against the back plaster wall until the box was flush. Then I put in the metal things that keep it from pulling out of the wall (the sides were tight). Then I caulked the top/excess hole with silicone, my favorite adhesive.

I think it'll work, but any ideas about how a real electrician could have done it. Now it's a kitchen wall with wallpaper, so I'm sure Grandma doesn't want me to cut out a huge chunk of plaster to mount a bracket box.

I have some more issues with Hack Job, Part I, but I'll get into that in the Photos Submitted section.

Dave