Sorry for long post, please read, though.

I have a friend who remodelled part of his home after a fire. He had a friend do most of the wiring, but my friend helped, and decided what went where. The work was inspected, (and passed?). I asked if there were any violations, and he said the inspector told him that the only problems he had were some "twisted wires" that needed to be straightened out??

Though they put each room on separate circuits, separate lighting circuits, separate m-wave circuit, etc. I see numerous violations of Article 210(A)(1) on receptacle spacing, no receptacle in the storage/pantry, things like that.

But, my post is really about the light switches. Has anyone seen (and what is the code) where a switch controls the light to a room that you are about to enter? For example, the kitchen light is controlled by two 3-way switches, but, each switch is located on the OUTSIDE of the doorways in/out of the kitchen, in the next room.
So, as you prepare to enter the kitcken from the entryway, you turn on the kitchen light BEFORE you walk through the doorway into the kitchen. If you walk through the kitchen, there is a switch at the next doorway to turn on the light for the next room. Once you enter that room, there is a switch on THAT side of the doorway to turn the kitchen light off.

His thinking is that you turn a light "on" to a room BEFORE you enter that room, and you turn that light "off" only AFTER you exit that room.

The WHOLE first floor is this way, (five rooms including the bathroom - whose light is, of course, on the outside of the bathroom, not one on the inside!!).

Is this bizarre, or common???

I have no idea which switch to flip in his house. He (and wife and kids do), but who else would???

The fire, by the way, before the remodel, was determined to have been caused by a defect in a microwave which caused it to catch fire and spread (they were not home at the time, and m-wave was off).