I brought it up to a Fluke rep at one of those free BBQ's at the supply house. They had a questionair about including Temp on all thier meters, "Would you be more likely..." If it had Temp... to buy a Fluke?

They are doing this because one of thier competitors is now including Temp on all of thiers, the whole line!

So, I told him about it, about putting a tracer on all of them. Ears percked up about it, until a few of us were hounding the guy about it.

My personal opinion about it, is that if they could make an inductive tone gennie/Multi-meter. (That pulses a small amoumt of load.) And a clamp-on meter/receiver. (That can reconize that pulsed load) You could better trace circuits without turning off the wrong one for sure. A big no-no in many situations where I need a tracer. Most tracers will pass the signal on through to everything on that phase. I don't know how many times I turn off the breaker 2 above or below, or the one across from it. With a clamp-on amp meter that can recongnize that pulse, it's a sure shot for finding it!

If they made it, with TDR, I'd buy that no problem! I have this item, but it lacks range, and certain capabilities. But still REALLY handy!http://www.psiber.com/picct50.htm

Back to topic, I was reading a ul.com article about AFCI's and GFCI testing. And it said AFCI testers are not required, and went through a whole test procedure on acceptable test methods. And, a siple $5 GFI tester does just fine, etc. (By creating a simple ground fault) But if I REALLY needed to know apparent power, with a few simple measurements with a good clamp-on, and the ease of a $10 calculator I could find out. Not to mention like I said, most of my trouble-shooting doesn't include a receptical at all. Just my opinion.... Money could be better spent.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason