I agree with Golf Junkie. Set goals. Start with goals that even the lazy slack jawed among your crew can meet. Work up to setting goals that meet the speed at which you'd like projects to be completed. The trick is to not push too hard and yet not allow them to become complacent. You say you have their respect, that's the first step and the hardest one. Tell them flat out in the morning; XYZ must be done by this time and if it isn't we're all in the **** house. Make it clear that you will not pick up their slack and you will not cover for them, you might not throw them under the bus but you will not shield them. Then give them a reason to push. If they show good production take off early on Friday. If production is outstanding and above and beyond then let them take off a couple hours early but clock eight. You wouldn't believe how fast our guys work when you say "Look, it's Friday. We have to have this done. If we bust *** now we can clock out by noon or one o-clock and you guys can call it 8 hours." Spend some of your time and money. Buy lunch for the crew. Every once in a great while pay for a busted hand tool. Trick is to not become a bank or a charity. I have a couple guys who will go out of their way for me. Never complain about working late cause the rest of our crew are lazy jerks. Never mind doing the hard work while I talk on the phone with customers. I take very good care of them and that's why they work for me. They do awesome work to boot. They know what needs to be done and how.

Most important thoughts:

A project is never worth burning yourself out over.

Loyalty and a willing to sacrifice for the Company is a must on my crew.

Sometimes the turtle wins.

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 08-07-2004).]