First off, a disclaimer... Some of you may be Inspectors, and I'll say this... I have the upmost respect for Building Inspectors who actually inspect work, and don't just go for the job card and leave. I also am well aware of, and respect the the "Authority" Having Jurisdiction, and most often will not question that past a simple clarification. That said, this is what did for two hours today.........

Some backround... Boss took a job, 40 miles outside our normal range, that has had two EC's in the past, both could not get through rough. One got fired due to bad attitude, one never returned. I resummed thier work. (Which, was not bad, nothing I wouldn't do... And, it was all done spare a few changes.)Finished and got the rough signed by an "alternate" Inspector for that area, as the the one assigned the are was on vacation.

Had the finish inspection today... Here's how it went. I'm waiting outside, older, mid sixties gent shows up, "Hi I'm..." - "Let's see what you did this time!" (I have never worked in this town except for this job!)I take that with a grain of salt.

"Where would you like to start?"
"The panel!"

We go there, and I am pointing to the one circuit. I start into my shpeal, "This our one circuit..."

He interupts me, with this... "You haven't done anything since the last time I was here, I told you I wanted all this stuff taken care of!" I then politely tell him that this is my first inspection with him, something that he ignores for the rest of the inspection!

(This panel is an existing early 90's homeline, not the prettiest work, but no real obvious code violations.)

I ask, "So what were the items you wanted taken care of?"

Heres some of the items:

"Why are all those neutrals and grounds tied up like that? You can't tell where they're going!" He has me seperate them, I just go with it. We poke around in them making sure no grounds were cut out.

"What gage is that?" We go hunting down heaters, and checking thier wattage.

Now here's where it gets fun! Un-used conductors in the panel marked "Spare in attic" I have to go find it. (In a box)"It's not being used. Pull it out!" It was right above the panel, and I reluctantly agree to pull it out later. The next unused conductor is the red of a 3 wire, I have to go find it. The black is the microwave, and I easily find it in the box behind the microwave. He wants me to change it to a two wire. I tell him I can't without ripping the walls apart. He then suggests I cut it out at the back of the box, and the top of the panel. I refuse! I tell him that we're going to sort this out, and call him back. He leaves.

The Owner then tells me the last two Contractor had the same problem with him.

Did he look at the one landscape circuit he came for? NO!

Not only do I think this guy is got some interpritation issues, I think has past retirement up a little long!

I told the Boss he gets to go for the next one.

(I told the Customer I was going to post this, and agreed not to bring up anything about this job, so don't ask where this guy is.)

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason