Cafco 300
Fire resistive material
Issue # D-339
UL file R 13348
Isolatek International
Stanhope, New Jersey 07874

This fire proofing material has been added to all the ceilings of the hospital I am wiring. The building inspector is complaining because I had to "moderately" compress this stuff in order to install my boxes. The boxes are hung from b-line beam clamps, which suspend them approximately 1/2" below the beam. The Cafco material (which varies in depth from ¼ - 1 ½”) was not scraped off but instead sandwiched between the top of the J-box and the bottom of the I-beams. This inspector cannot tell me what thickness of this material needs to be maintained but says it depends on the beam size. Where can I find more info? The building inspector wants me to space all (100+) J-boxes down from their current position. This would take ALOT of time and the already installed conduits are going to resist this movement. How "unworkmanlike" the resulting mess would look is of no concern to this person.

Unless this product is brand-new, there must be electrical materials in existence that automatically hold all boxes and conduit down 1-2 inches. Regular beam clamps would require time consuming spacers. Where can I find such products specifically made for installation in fire resistive material?