Here's the situation,

Back when I was in business for myself my brother-in-law worked for me off and on for a couple of years. He wasn't an electrician but he helped pull wire, install receptacles, install light fixtures, etc... all under my close supervision.

Since I have been out of business, for about 2 years now, he decided to start doing electrical work "on the side". (He has a steady day job at a saw mill (not as an electrician) Since he is going to do it anyway, I try to advise him on jobs that I know about but he does work that I don't know about also. Thats what scares me. I know that he doesen't know enough to know what could go wrong. In other words, he knows just enough to be dangerous.

Just today I went out (for the second time)to inspect a 200A service that he installed.

First of all I met him there before he ever started the job to "advise" him on what to do. And I was pretty specific.

Went there the first time to inspect the job and there was a number of things wrong. (Clearance in front of the panel, Grounding, Bonding, color coding, etc.)

I made him move the panel, explained where the ground rods got connected to, (he had a #4 copper running from the ground rods to the water line), etc...

When I arrived today I seen that he did move the panel as we discussed. Corrected the color coding issue (you know, the "white is always neutral" thing)But when he ran his #4 wire to the water line he ran it diagnally across the basements open joists to about 10' from where the water line enters the house (to be within 5' here) and he used a 2" 90 sweep to enter the house from the meter socket outside.

The 2" PVC (not glued)came down on an angle from the meter socket about 3' then entered the house through the 90. ugliest thing I ever saw but electrically OK.(I did make him glue the PVC)

I am afriad that he is going to damage someones property by either a voltage problem or, God forbid, a fire and I pray that no one ever gets hurt.

What should I do? What would you do?

keep in mind that in this part of PA there is no licenses required. Anyone can do electrical work.