2 guys who ignored their surrondings, 1 payed dearly with his life.
Both these stories came from www.bangornews.com

By Walter Griffin, Of the NEWS Staff e-mail Walter
Last updated: Wednesday, May 12, 2004
Contractor, 29, electrocuted in Thorndike

THORNDIKE - A Morrill man was electrocuted Tuesday when a piece of metal roofing he was working with came into contact with electrical service wires connected to a building.Allen Chasse, 29, was dead after being rushed to Waldo County General Hospital in Belfast after the 11:16 a.m. incident in Thorndike village.

Waldo County Chief Deputy Robert Keating said Chasse and another man, Lawrence "Larry" Doolan, 32, also of Morrill, were working on the roof of a Gordon Hill Road building owned by Joe Benjamin of Morrill. The 21/2-story wood-frame building has an unoccupied store on the ground floor and two apartments above.

Keating said the two independent contractors were working on the metal roof when "apparently a piece of metal roofing Mr. Chasse was holding came in contact with the wires" leading to the building.

The electric shock knocked Chasse off the building. Chasse still was clutching a pair of tinsnips when he hit the ground. A woman who lives in one of the apartments told Deputy Ben Seekins that she heard a noise and observed Chasse fall from the roof, Keating said.

Keating said the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration has been notified, as was the State Medical Examiner's Office.

By Leanne Robicheau, Of the NEWS Staff e-mail Leanne
Last updated: Thursday, May 13, 2004
Quebec man injured when crane hits wires

MORRILL - A Quebec man holding a crane cable was injured Wednesday at a construction site when the boom of a crane touched overhead wires.Fabien Gilbert, 41, of St. Rene, Quebec, was in fair condition at Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor, a spokeswoman said Wednesday evening. He is employed by Profab Homes of Vallee-Jonction, Quebec.

Immediately after the accident, Profab coworker Richard Deness administered CPR, and within 30 seconds Gilbert was breathing and his heart was beating on its own, Waldo County Chief Deputy Bob Keating said Wednesday.

When Gilbert was taken by Belfast Ambulance to Waldo County General Hospital, he was breathing and conscious, Keating said. Gilbert later was flown to the Bangor hospital.

The accident occurred about 10:30 a.m. on Poors Mill Road. A modular home manufactured by Profab and sold locally by Castle Homes LLC was being set on a foundation by Arthur D. Henry Crane Service of Thomaston, Keating said.

Crane operator William LaRose of Thomaston had finished setting the last section of the home and was "booming back to get the cables out," when the boom hit Central Maine Power wires, Keating said.

Initially, the investigation was made difficult by the fact that most of the Profab workers do not speak English, Keating pointed out. Belfast Area High School French teacher Lila Nation was contacted and quickly responded, he said.

The first deputy to arrive was Merl Reed, who was assisted by Keating.

CMP and its safety team, as well as the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration, were notified, Keating said.