I do controls and have almost never done any lighting or power distribution work, so excuse my ignorance.

I need to put a few light fixtures in my shop and can get a few 400Watt Metal Halide, multi tap fixtures real cheap. I know that I don't want to use these on 120, but I am curious about what I will need to do to switch them on 240. Will I have to use a contactor and then switch the contactor? Surely there is no contactor in the fixture itself.

I guess I could just switch them on and off with the circuit breaker, but I really don't want to do that.

Hopefully I can return the favor if any of you have controls questions.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Have a great day,