If you've got some time to kill, I was just wondering (just as an idea) what you folks tote around in your vehicles, and how you do it.

As for some background (long part of the story) - I've been working as a "second man" for an established shop for just over 2 years. We work in conduit (EMT) and flex in our neck of the woods, doing mostly new, higher-end residential work. Got my own ticket last year, and have been doing more stuff on my own - everything from panel upgrades to fixture replacements.

Right now, I've got a Chevy 1500 (1/2 ton) long bed pickup, with a camper top on the back. I'm going to be making a raised plywood floor, on a frame that sits up 2" from the built in cross-bed 2x6 brackets, to hide my power tools, wire reeler, and benders beneath. Later this month (or early Feb.) I'll be getting one of the "contractor" style caps with the built in boxes in place of side windows, with a ladder rack on top. Maybe a LWB 3/4 or 1 ton van in '05, if business keep improving.

The short of it? I'm wondering what I should stock, in addition to my "usual" supplies (1/2 & 3/4 EMT supplies, as well as an assortment of 10, 12 & 14 cu wire, a few coils of different sizes of Greenfield, and some (cleaned) square little pails with supplies (1900's & switch boxes, and plaster rings/ covers, and switches / receptacles, etc.)

Until I get the cap, and can get bins / drawers / racks, it's a frickin' mess, but it's all I've got. If you've got a van, were the Manufacturers "electrician" bin & shelving package options (Adrian Steel or Weatherguard come to mind) adequate, or were they just a starting point for needed modifications?

Also curious about what you guys think is an "adequate" amount of supplies to carry "just in case", and how you do it, so when I upgrade, I've got an idea of where to start... or more precisely, where to improve.

Thanks in advance,

Doug... still feelin' like the FNG [Linked Image]