I had a big screw up today on a job. I went to one of our jobs and about 5" of drywall needed to be removed about 10 feet long. I thought I'd help my guys hurry up, so I grabbed a Dewalt cordless sawsall and started cutting. I was being carefull not to cut too deep because I didn't want to cut any wires. At the end of the cut, I heard a hiss and then water spraying me in the face. I ran to find a shut off, but couldn't, I went back to the leak area to get some pliers to cut it off at the street and noticed the spray was hot, so I ran the the water heater and turned it off there. As soon as I got it cut off I heard somebody yelling. It turned out the homeowner was in the shower when I turned off the hot water! Ooops!

It took us about 2 hours to mop up all the water and dry out the cabinets. It doesn't look like anything was damaged too bad, although I 'm concerned that the hardwood floors might warp. If they do, I guess I'll be refinishing the floor.

I guess it could've been worse. The pipe was CPVC, so it repaired easily, but if it were copper, I probably wouldn't have cut it because I would've know I hit it and I was using light preasure. I'm also glad it was me that cut it and not one of my employees.

Does anybody else want to confess a screw-up?

[This message has been edited by Electric Eagle (edited 10-16-2003).]