I've been looking for a screw-in CFL bulb that will put out WHITE light. Not pinkish...and certainly not that putrid blue that I seem to run across so much.

But it seems like all the ones I see in stores put out either a blue-ish tinted light or a slightly pink light (not as harsh on the eys as the blue) even after I let the lamp warm up for half an hour.

The NYCTA uses what looks like CFLs in their train tunnels (they also use the metal halide lamps in some areas but those are teardrop shaped and blueish) that do seem to put out a white light. It's sort of shaped like half a medicine capsule.

I seem to remember that's what they all looked like when CFLs were introduced, but now they come in all sorts of shapes (corkscrews, litle U tubes, globes, etc. etc.).

Has anyone shifted to screw-in CFL's in their fixtures and can recommend a good brand?

I've seen the circline tubes used in these adapter brackets that screw into a lightbulb socket...but those are EXPENSIVE compared to a standard bulb-sized CFL; althoug they seem to put out a better light.

Thanks!! [Linked Image] [Linked Image]