I have a question about whether or not to ground a metal work table that would be used during arc welding. I know that a good work clamp (which is confusingly referred to by many weldors as the ground clamp) should have a solid connection, as close to the work area as possible. But what happens in the exceptional circumstance?

One thing to keep in mind is that arc welding processes can be DCEP (direct current, electrode positive), DCEN (direct current, electrode negative), or AC (alternating current). Which process depends on the type of metal, filler material, and desirec penetration characteristics.

I've been following a couple discussions at the Hobart Welding site where there are some thoughtful responses, but there is no consensus. Some people there think that a separate grounding rod should be put in the ground for just the table. Others advocate connecting it to the house ground. Still others say that he table should NOT be grounded.

FWIW, my metal welding table is NOT grounded. All other outlets in my work area (garage) are GFCI, except my refrigerator. The garage has its own subpanel, which has a grounding electrode going to the main panel. The grounding electrode and the neutral are NOT connected.

This is one of the discussions that prompted me to come here: http://www.hobartwelders.com/mboard...92&threadid=2691&perpage=15&

Thanks,

Barry