I thought these pieces of garbage had been phased out of existence a few years ago????

A contributor to a USE-Net group I subscribe to said that he was at his local Walmart store this afternoon and spotted 18-AWG x 2 zipcord extension cords for sale, branded "GE" with UL Listing and everything. [Linked Image]

(Topics shifted on where to get cheap zip-cord for replaing the flex on old radios) and someone said "cut up a cheap extension cord."

The only zip-cord extensions I've seen for sale in even the cheapest of the cheap dollar stores are the thicker 16-AWG.

I'm wondering if he probably just misread the labelling (a 6 and an 8 look mighty close when embossed on cable insulation, I've noticed).

There is no Walmart store within reach of public transit in my area, so I was wondering if anyone who lives near one of these stores could confirm?

If so, maybe the CPSC should issue a re-call of these things. We get them from time to time (undersized wiring, reversed polarity, no polarization, fake ETL labels, etc.)

BTW, happy Independence Day if you're also in the USA. Be careful handling firecrackers!! [Linked Image]