Sorry, missed the opportunity for pics, it wasn't very photogenic anyway.

Anyway...

Got a call from the General Contractor about a house I wired about 1-1/2 years ago... The meter base has water running out of it, and there are obvious concerns.

By the time I got there, Allegheny Power was there, the G.C. and the health inspector. To make a long story short, after opening the Transformer (elevated about 8' above the meterbase, a few hundred feet away) the secondary conduit was not visible, and could not be felt with in a foot down with a long screwdriver. Plus, the URD cable went in the direction of the drainage ditch, where we can only assume that the 3" conduit started somewhere... (in the original installation, the GC had trenched, laid the conduit and pullrope up to the sched 80 sweep and riser at the meterbase, where I took over)... To make a long story even longer, the septic system keeps overflowing (3200 gallons in two weeks!) and the owners are miffed to say the least.

We can only assume that the drainage ditch is pouring its runoff down the 3" pipe to the meterbase, and is then sending water down into the drainage system and into the septic system. It appears, at this point, to be the PoCos problem since it was the final few feet of pipe going into the transformer that was omitted, and surely, they didn't expect, or even want, us to pipe into one of their live transformers...

Anyway, have any of you run into a similar problem, and how was it remedied?

-Virgil

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 04-22-2003).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI