Having just re-activated my license and got up to speed with a code seminar, I eagerly dove into a service change job. Panel(s) installed, wires run, it was time to go get some breakers.

At the parts house I was met by a little confusion when I asked for the newly mandated surge suppressor. Huh? Seems they’ve yet to sell one.
It gets worse. If you’re using a Square D Homeline (or similar) panel, it appears the only SPD’s available mount to the outside of the panel. If you want one that snaps into a breaker position, you need to use a QO panel.

This is a service location item. More important, SPD’s need pigtails as short as possible or they won’t work right. With services being located outdoors, the last thing I want to do is punch another hole in the box.

Outside disco with indoor panel? With interior panels set IN the wall, does code even allow me to bury the gizmo behind the Sheetrock?

Okay, I’m in one of the less trendy parts of the USA. That might explain the local trade. That’s still no excuse for Square D, whom I can only assume was heavily involved in writing this new requirement.

What about you? Have you installed SPD’s? Have you had trouble finding them? Are there alternatives I don’t know about?