Kind of a long story, but bear with me. On a job I am helping out on part time, I noticed a practice that seemed wrong to me.

For instance, one swith box contains 3 middle-of-the-run 3-way switches, with one pair of travellers coming in for each switch, and one switched leg up to the lights. Instead of isolating the neutral by switch, the apprentice who wired everything simply took all the neutrals in the box and connected them together.

Upon further investigation, I found that all the boxes were wired this way, even the boxes that contained 2 circuits.

I mentioned it to the boss, and I told him this was wrong since it creates parallel paths for neutral current. His response: "I've always done it that way. It's not a problem." I said, "Well, that doesn't make it right." He then said, "Well, if it bothers you that much, you can go around and fix them." Which I proceeded to do.

I then metioned it to the apprentice, and he said it didn't matter, and that he would keep doing it that way. The boss doesn't care either. There's nothing more that I can do to convince them that this is wrong.

So, am I correct in my belief that this practice is wrong? Should I have stuck my neck out in this situation?

I never would do this unless I am absolutely sure that I am right, but I am willing to admit defeat, too.

Peter

[This message has been edited by CTwireman (edited 02-12-2003).]

Peter