I'm sitting here doing 2014 code update and I'm a bit surprised on some of the changed. I'm sure they are done with good intentions but the saying goes, "The road to hell is paved with good intentions." It's being dummied down to a do it yourself manual and that is one thing the NEC was not.

For example, cords for temporary receptacles (590), like on construction sites have to be supported off the ground. For the most part, that's doable. However, I have been on several construction sites where that would not be practical like site development before the building is even started or on major roof projects. So would a contractor erect a support system or run longer extension cords?

Another one is plug connected electric car chargers. NEC does not regulate them because they are portable equipment. A glorified extension cord if you will.

When I started in the trade, I was impressed how the code was written, intention and how it is interpreted. I understand aligning the code with other codes and standards to be on the same sheet of music. Call me old fashion but code is a safety code for electrical installation that is structurally attached. They stepping out of their boundary and I'm not cool with that. If NFPA wants to have a say in matters outside the NEC, write another standard and promote it as such. Sure it's hard but using other standards will turn once respected standard into another capital hill full of self interests, instead of the greater good....

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa