colrey:
The way it is here in NJ, in a condensed version....

An individual is qualified as a NJ Licensed Electrician. That license number remains with that person forever.

In order to legally function as an Electrical Contractor, that individual must apply for a Business Permit, which is attached to his/her license number. One person, one BP.
One business name, company, individual, or whatever.

Any change to the business (name, type, etc.) results in a letter added after the BP #. Like 'Joe's Electric BP 1234' changing to 'Joe's Electric LLC BP 1234-A'.

BTW, I was not implying that Mr E is not a reputable organization, just voicing my opinions.

IMHO, 30K for what you said above, plus having to acquire/modify a vehicle, might be better spent on a good accountant and or a business consultant.

I had one national account that I acquired via word on the street. It was 100% service work (retail), with the chance to bid on renovation/fit-ups IF they called. Response was 48 hours, or 'less then 2 hrs for emergency'. Rates were on the tight side, and it was 60 days to see payment. It was OK, kept 1 guy busy; and involved a lot of mileage.

Contract renewal time resulted is them demanding travel charges eliminated and minimum service charge eliminated, and replaced with 1/4 hour billing. After laughing real hard, I submitted a response and withdrawal letter. BTW, I never got a call to bid on any work.

Without naming, this was a national group, with at least 8 various 'branded' stores, major regional malls, and some freestanding units. From the NJ state border, to southern Ocean County, river to ocean.

Have a safe holiday.....

John