I'm in a EUSERC Poco state.

I thought that Arizona's utilities had adopted EUSERC, too.

In which case, your calculations are pretty irrelevant.

It may prove out that it's the Poco that's driving this 'City mandate.' (Which is very, very, likely linked to the Federal program to mandate "the Smart Grid.")

Both the Poco and the City are being driven by the Feds to ENTIRELY eliminate 'grandfathered' Services that don't meet "Smart Grid" standards.

If this is indeed the case, then you need to head right on over to the EUSERC web pages/ talk to your electrical distributors to get the heads-up. For you can hardly be the only contractor getting these phone calls.

One aspect of the "Smart Grid" is digital metering to each Service -- as THEY define it. I rather suspect that the wording is over-broad.

There are no end of ironies here: for the end-users in this situation are ALREADY at the very bottom of the scale of power consumption. (!)

If the heavy-up is driven by this political pressure (the timing is suspect) then you'll be compelled to build to their calculations... which will (magically) entirely override the NEC calcs.

&&&&

The 'Greens' have politicized power consumption. They are an international force. You'll find similar 'political' (doctrinal) interventions across the Western world. What started in Europe has come to America.

This (Greens) doctrine is reality inverted. Electrically powered devices are the MOST efficient in almost all applications. No industry has done more to improve the quality of life than the electric industry.

The Greens in Germany found out the hard way that they had to stop. Their policies became so significant that 'sustainable energy' was destabilizing the national power grid! (Wind power, in bulk, is impossible to utilize. It's too chaotic.)

Seimens and the rest of the German electrical 'heavies' promptly left the business -- taking multibillion dollar write-offs at the same time. They realized that they'd guessed wrong -- and had already reached the end of the 'sustainable' road.

The Greens are pretty much stumped -- and the "Smart Grid" is Plan B. I suspect that we'll be seeing a persistent roll out of Smart Grid devices -- especially at the Service -- for the rest of our careers.

I'm an old clod. If I were a younger man -- this is what I'd study up on. It's going to be a HUGE (Service) design feature from now on.

Tesla