Its my understanding that it is additional not mandatory.

This patient room has a switched receptacle for the bed power and a switch built into the bottom of the overbed light. That keeps them from raising the bed and ripping the light off the wall with the IV pole.Now, I have been told that they do not do that anymore and it's more of a code violation. I was told that when they needed power the most, the switched receptacle did not work because of a bad switch that was in the light.

I was also told that nurses and staff did not consistently plug the bed back into the correct switched receptacle on too many occasions. Basically defeating the purpose of having it in the first place.

I do understand the reasoning, but to say it's a code violation to have a switched receptacle in patient rooms, I just do not see that in the NEC or NFPA 99 or any other Code, Building or otherwise. If someone finds it let me know.

The inspector will be asked to show code reference. This is not my job or my install, its from a person I know. Like I said, I can understand the DESIGN preference, but when you say something is a CODE Violation, then you should be able to back it up when asked.