Hey guys I have always said that if you’re in the industry every electrician or technician should own a basic Tone and Probe for tracing wires. I get asked a lot of questions about how use one and would like to share with others some tips that can save them hours of time in the field.

I am willing to give a 33-864 IDEAL Tone and Probe to the first 5 guys who have a tip for using them.

If you’ve ever done much of it you know it is a little bit of an art form to trace wires in buildings. I would love to start a conversation about your favorite Tone and Probe tricks used for tracing wires. I would also like to know what else use them for?

I can start out with my favorite tip and one you won’t find in the instruction manuals. That is if you are down to 2 or 3 wires you feel is the correct one but still not sure. Use your body as a little extra resistance by wetting your fingertip and touch one of the wires. Then crank the volume up on the Probe and hold it closely to your ear. You should hear a very faint tone on the one that actually is the one you’re looking for. All other wires should give you no tone at all.

Give it a try it’s a good one!

Ron Kipper RCDD / NTS
IDEAL Industries Inc
Ron Kipper Datacomm on YouTube