It's hard to believe,but most of us do not live in 14,000 sq. ft. McMansions, or own ever possible new toy. A recent thread on "overwiring" has me wondering how much overwiring is the result of code requirements.

For example, my house is 1000 sq. ft, and was originally wired (1957) with but six circuits. Try as I may, I can't see a way to rewire without at least 20 circuits- and not all of them are due to changes in our lifestyle.

The kitchen is a good place to start. Even if a kitchen is only large enough to require but one receptacle - and I've seen some huge counters that only require one - code wants two circuits. Plus an additional one for the range hood, and one for the dishwasher / disposal. If the gas range happens to have an igniter, there's plenty of debate as to where you can get the power for that.

The dining room is almost required, by default, required to have its' own AFCI / GFCI circuit.

The furnace needs its' own circuit, even if all there is is an igniter and a little fan, and it's in the same closet as the water heater and laundry equipment.

With the washer requiring its' own circuit, by default we need to bring in a third for the (gas) water heater igniter.

The bathroom gets its' own circuit.

Outside receptacles become an issue, as they're often not allowed to be tied into nearby circuits.

The alarm system gets its' own, either as a requirement, or as a carryover from the 'interconnection' requirement for the smoke alarms.

One result of the 'incremental' adoption of AFCI requirements was to encourage bedrooms to be on separate circuits.

Codes are requiring residential sprinkler systems - which means another dedicated circuit.

Sure, our lifestyle has had an effect. For example, clothes dryers were rare in 1957, but are now assumed - thus, two more circuits. Refrigerators are larger, encouraging a separate circuit. Air conditioning is the norm now- two more circuits (at least).

Now we want phone / internet / CATV in every room, which adds another entire network of wires. The above-mentioned alarm system adds its' web, reaching every window and door.

Last edited by renosteinke; 04/23/13 09:26 AM.