Yes, this parallels another thread at another forum. Just reaching out to another audience, with a different take on thimgs.

I've been surface-mounting receptacles "as needed" during my household remodel. No attempt to follow the rules, just putting them where I have a specific need for them. I thought I'd compare 'reality' with 'codebook design."

Here are some of the trends I've discovered:

1) Nearly all the receptacles are mounted high - at least 30" off the floor, to serve equipment on tables or benches;

2) In 'long' rooms, each long wall has a receptacle at either end, with plugmold between. The short walls don't have any. "Dead areas" behind doors don't get one, either;

3) "Square" rooms either have all the receptacles on one wall, or on two adjoining walls, with the other walls left clear;

4) A surprising number of receptacles - in 3 of 7 rooms - are placed at ceiling level, to serve specific equipment;

5) Rooms are well lit, but the lights have tended to be placed in unconventional ways. Three rooms have the lights mounted on the wall; one has multiple, small ceiling lights, placed around the perimeter. What's interesting is that all thelights are laced so that they can light up the work without casting strong shadows on the work. I think we need to reconsider the traditional center-of-the-ceiling placement; and,

6) Receptacles with nightlights, and illuminalted light switches, are great.

While these receptacles are placed to temporarily serve, only during the remodel ... it has given me some food for thought. I am not saying the code is "wrong."

Last edited by renosteinke; 10/09/12 01:57 PM.