Yes John, after the clouds passed in my head, that's what I figured was happening. I don't work to much with starters and contactors but occasionally. I'm using a fluke digital meter. When testing the voltage on the coil when the manual over-ride switch is flipped, I didn't even see any voltage reading. It's probably happening too fast to show up on my meter.
On the other contactor that's not working, I can't seem to figure out why the power is not getting down to the coil. It comes to the top of the contactor N/O contacts when the over-ride is flipped, but is not making it down to the coil to pull the coil in. I don't guess I understand the inward workings of the contactor too good. I'll look again on the tech page and see if it comes more clearly. It didn't help my thinking capacity any though, when the maintenance man at this place sticks his hand in the access hole of the light pole with 480 volts inside with the power on with no gloves. I worked on one a few days earlier and found a 277 volt connection with the tape peeled off. Very scary. I guess people like that think they're brave. With no offense to anyone, I think it's stupid.