Hi all.

This is a question particularly to New Zealand and maybe Australian electricians.

I am told, by more than 3 different registered electricians that the maximum number of 10A single outlets on a standard power circuit in a domestic installation is 12, that is 6 double outlets on a 20A breaker and 2.5mm cable. They assure me this is the law but cannot tell me where it is dictated.

When I look up the Wiring Rules (AS/NZS3000:2007 amendment 1, Sect C5.2 and Table C8), it indicates an allowance of 1A per outlet allowing a max of 20 singles or 10 doubles?

Even this table is titled "Guidance on..." So it sounds to me that this is a rule of thumb and the maximum outlets on a circuit should be determined by the installation and likely usage of appliances on the circuit so as to prevent nuisance tripping of the breaker as opposed to being the law?

In the notes section for table C8, note "i" states "The values are intended to be utilized when the final subcircuit is provided for general use. Where it is known that socket-outlets may be used for specific items of electrical equipment, such as dishwashers, room heaters or clothesdryers, the actual load of the equipment should be substituted."

I am an apprentice attempting to learn and adopt best practice. Have I answered my own question here? Many thanks!