You can't do what you propose because you can't get a license. You can't get a license because it isn't legal. Go ahead and apply, but you already know what the result will be. That's why you're testing your arguments, here. I'm saying, you have a point, but it's weak.

As to my example, If you were on a job as an employee and your employer didn't take out a permit, who would get the k form? You would both be working without a permit, as opposed to just your employer. You can argue my example, if you wish, but without the license, the point is moot.

You're right. It sucks to be an employee. It probably sucks even more to inspect your work and to have to argue every word of an electrical code that is more poorly drafted than the statute you quote. Life sucks. Work around it.

The only part of the cabin that you can't "help" your in-law wire with a home owner's permit is the service. Get him to hire your employer and you can do the service under your employer's permit and give your wages back to your in-law.

Let's look at the amount of money someone around S'toon has if they can buy property at the lake and build a cabin. I'll bet they can afford $2k for a service.