I690.64 (B) (2008 NEC) permits connection "at any distribution equipment on the premises". Can this be a sub-panel at some distance from the service disconnect? Consider a barn with panels on the roof, can I connect (assuming other code conditions are met) to a a breaker panel in the barn, or do I need to bring the PV generated power, via a separate feeder, back to the house where the utility service disconnecting means is located?

There seems to be some ambiguity in the code which speaks of the inverter output being "connected to the load side of the service disconnecting mean" but then that connection can be "at any distribution equipment on the premises" (with some additional conditions). What is the meaning of this phrase "at any distribution ......" and why is it put in the code?

Can panels on the roof of a 9 story building connect via inverters to a breaker sub-panel on the roof, presently used solely to distribute power to the elevator motor? (assuming, of course, that requirements 1-7 of 690.64(B) are met?)
That would be a dramatic saving in costs if a separate new riser for the PV system is not required.