A friend of mine is involved in installing (physically) various types of industrial machinery at a company. He recently installed an industrial machine and the electrician refused to do the electrical connection as the machinery itself isn't listed, although it does have a label with all the pertinent information.

My reading of the NEC indicates that some specific devices have a listing requirement. For example, if my friend had installed an electrical heater under Article 424, 424.6 requires that the heater is required to be listed. In this case, if the heater wasn't listed, the electrician would be correct, he couldn't do the electrical connection. However, Article 670, Industrial Machinery, does not indicate that listing is necessary for the machine itself. The FPN in 670.1 indicates that the machinery has to have sufficient information on the label to allow the electrician to wire the machinery with the proper sized conductors, overcurrent protection, etc. But the machine itself does not need to be listed. 670.1 gives me the impression that the NEC only deals with the installation up to the disconnect for the machine, and not beyond that point.

Obviously, everything in the electrical system proper has to be listed. Looking through the NEC at the other articles shows that some specific devices have to be listed, others have to be labeled, and some show no specific requirement other than being approved by the AHJ. Is this correct?

Thanks!