It is proposed, by the code committe, to add a sentence to these sections requiring GFCI's to be located in 'readily accessible' locations. I have a problem with this,

The committee refers to the manufacturers' instructions to test the GFCI monthly. I'm sure that all of us have alos spent hours running down a 'power problem' that was the result of a very well-hid GFCI tripping. I sympathize.

Yet, there are situations where you want access to the GFCI to be restricted. One is the situation illustrated in the most recent IAEI issue: the GFCI (now required) supplying power to outdoor vending machines. Why would you want these receptacles to be difficult to reach? Simply to protect the power cords from damage, and the machines from being maliciously unplugged.Hence the practice of setting the machine right in fromt of the receptacle.

Another situation is what I encountered ina prison remodel; you want to GFCI protect the prisoners, yet place the GFCI where it will not be subject to abuse.

Then there are receptacles in hard-to-access locations: up near the gutters for ice melting equipment (or Christmas lights), and on rooftops for HVAC servicing. For the first situation, you would have to run the circuit out of it's usual path in order to place a GFCI where you can easily reach it.
So, you say, just use a GFCI breaker in the panel? Well, apart from the cost issue ... do you really want to make the HVAC guy run to the panel every time he has to reset the thing? The roof - where he is working - is, by definition, not readily accessible.

What do you think?