Well, I suppose it's time to break out the codebook. let's look at the exact language:

"440.14 Location. Disconnecting means shall be located within sight from and readily accessible from the air conditioning or refrigerating equipment."

There are further details, and an exception relating to industrial processes, but I don't think those are relevant here. What is relevant is the 'lock it out at the panel' practice is allowed only in the exception, again, for industrial processes.

"Within sight" suggests that, when the equipment is spread in multiple locations, each location is going to need it's own disconnect.

"Readily accessible from the ... equipment" means I have to be able to reach it while I'm working on the equipment, without having to climb down from my ladder.

This may seem over-done for what is essentially a small fan ... but, remember, this is almost THE textbook example of equipment that may start automatically, and get power from more than one source.

As for wiring methods, I see the NEC as allowing any method that the damp or wet location would allow ... with the qualification that environmental conditions may restrict your choices further. Temperature, humidity, and corrosion are certainly relevant, and vary from site to site. There also might very well be mechanical protection and health department considerations.

Separating the lighting from the evaporator fans is a good idea. Those lights are subject to a fair amount of maintenance themselves.