Did anyone see this show? The first "tip" described was to install gable outlets to make installing Christmas lights on the gables and eaves easier. As presented on the show, there were several code violations ( I can't actually cite the code numbers as I am just a homeowner, but I have read this board long enough to pick up on several of them ).

Here is a link:
http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/dc_lighting_principles/article/0,1793,HGTV_3467_1382513,00.ht ml

The host recommends tapping into a circuit in the attic to power the outlets. He uses a metal junction box to contain the new splice, but does not use cable clamps. In fairness, at least he staples the cable near where it enters the junction box. Outside, he installs a weatherproof box but feeds it with regular romex - not through a hole in the back. The romex is actually exposed between where it comes out of the attic/eave/gable until it enters the box using a "waterproof fitting". Also, I don't recall that he said to use a GFI protected circuit/outlet. He might have, I just can't recall.

[This message has been edited by wageoghe (edited 12-09-2002).]